This is going to be a wonderful sale.
A little history perhaps....President Jerry Ford was first recruited to run for Congress in the raised wood paneled dining room by John Martin, former owner of the property. It was John's daughter, Gillian Martin who married Ted Sorensen, JFK's speechwriter who coined the famous words: "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." The current family was very involved with the political and civic life in Grand Rapids, hosting numerous gatherings..." Read more about the home at 345 Plymouth Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI by picking up a Keller Williams Realty brochure at the sale or by contacting Katie K at Office: 616-575-0119 / Cell: 616-291-3552 or via email at KatieLaneK@Katie-K.com
Original artwork, beautiful furniture and unique items, as the family traveled excessively, fill the home from top to bottom. Three exquisitely furnished floors and more are sure to provide plenty of rooms to explore and possibilities for purchase.
- Two (2) original paintings: Reversed painted glass or Couache from Italy along with a Letter of Provenance from Marshall Fields, dated March 13, 1953 to Mr. William J. Chaille, Grand Rapids, MI that reads "The 18th Century Couache paintings came from a fine collection in Rome, purchased by Marshall Field & Company - Circa 1780. They are in the original frames and glass. They are one of the finest pairs of paintings we have had in our Galleries, and they are of museum quality."
- Artist: Alexander Calder, Untitled, Dimensions: approx. 18 x 21”, Media: Print, Notes: Artist signed original
- Artist: Alexander Calder, Title: Derriere Le Miroir Media: Print
- Artist: Gary Bower, Title: Primative Men or Maybe Primates, Dimensions: 22 x 33”, Media: Ink on paper, Notes: signed original.
Purchased 1991 at Max Protech Gallery New York, NY
- Artist: Panchas Cohen Gan, Dimensions: 18 x 21”, Media: water roller on paper, ink, Notes: signed original. Purchased 1991 at
Max Protech Gallery New York, NY.
- Artist: Dellas Henke, Title: Company by Samuel Beckett with 13 etchings by Dellas Henke, Dimensions: approx. 10 x 13”
Media: Illustrated book, signed by Samuel Beckett and Dellas Henke
- Artist: Dellas Henke, Title: HD Within The Walls: Wood Engravings, Dimensions: approx. 6” x 8”, Media: Illustrated book
Date: 1993, Notes: signed by Dellas Henke
- Artist: Dellas Henke, Title: Woman with Black Eye, Dimensions: both 14 x 20”, Media: Lithograph
- Artist: Victor Vaserely, Untitled, Dimensions: 17 x 17”, Media: Paintings, Acrylic on wood, Notes: purchased in Paris, France.
- Artist: Stephen Duren, Untitled, Dimensions: both 14 x 14.5”, Media: Lithographic print?, Notes: Signed
- Three (3) painted metal sculptures purchased in Paris, France, artist and date unknown
- Artist: Edna Hotchkiss, American, 20th Century, Signed "Edna Hotchkiss" (in pencil, lower right), Subject, Providence Town 1921, Medium, Etching
- Artist: Stanley Roy Badmin, (British, 1906 - 1989) Signed: "S.R. Badmin" (in pencil, lower right), Subject (Dudwich Village) Titled
under image: Medium: Etching, Size: 4.75" x 6 15/16"
- Artist: Ando Hiroshige (?) (Japanese, 1797-1858), Subject: Geisha in Interior, Medium: Woodblock in colors, Size: 14.25" x 9.75"
- Artist: Sargent Eckstein, Contemporary West Michigan, Subject: Girl and Tree, Medium: Graphite on paper
- Artist: Alfredo Zalce (Mexican American 1908-2003), Signed: Alfredo Zalce 1977 (in pencil, lower right), Subject: Tintorear (in
pencil, lower center), Medium: Etching with drypoint
- Artist: Mikumo Ishihara (Japanese 20th Century), Signed: Mikumo (in pencil, lower right), Subject: Village, Medium: Woodblock
- Artist: Mikumo Ishihara, Subject: Femme Japonaise, Medium: Woodblock print
- Artist: After Jasper Johns (American, born 1930), Subject: Jasper Johns Prints 1960-1970, Philadelphia Museum of Art,
Medium: Reproduction Poster
- Artist: Adan de Ryke (Dutch/American 1880-1940), Signed: A. de Ryke, '19 (lower left), Subject: Cows near a canal in a summer landscape in the Netherlands, Medium: Oil on canvas, Size: 20" x 28"
- Artist: Thomas Weber (German 1838-1907), Signed: Th. Weber (lower right), Subject: Ship in choppy waters near shore and figures, Medium: Watercolor on paper, Size: 19" x 13.5"
- Artist: Jozef Israels (Dutch 1824 - 1911), Signed: Jozef Isreals (in pencil, lower left), Subject: Sitzendes Madchenam Strand euf dem Rucken Eine Krob 1879, Girl Sitting on the Shore, Medium: Drypoint, Size: 5.875" x 8.875" - Paper is discolored
- Artist: Luigi Kasimmir (Austrian 1881 - 1962), Signed: Luigi Kasimmir (in pencil, lower center), Subject: St. Germain de Pres, Paris, Circa 1940, Medium: Etching in color, Size: 17" x 12.5" - Water damage visible
- Artist: Ryuryukyo Shinsai (Japanese circa 1764 - 1820), Subject: Two Shrine Lanterns and a White Snake (from the Series, "Five in a Set for Wedding", Medium: Woodblock print
- Artist: Thomas Bush Harding (British 1842 - 1897), Signed: T.B. Harding 1879 (lower left), Subject: Ship just off shore in choppy waves, Medium: Watercolor on paper, Size: 21.5" x 40.5"
- Artist: Edmon Darch Lewis (American 1835 - 1910), Signed: Edmon Darch Lewis 1889 (lower right), Subject: Sailboat near a rocky shore with a figure on a long pier, Medium: Watercolor on paper, Size: 9" x 20"
- Artist: Edmon Darch Lewis (American 1835 - 1910), Signed: Edmon Darch Lewis (lower right), Subject: Sailboat near a large rock with figures, Medium: Watercolor on paper, Size: 9" x 20"
- Artist: Victor Varsarely (Hungarian/French 1906 - 1997), Signed: Victor Varsarely (on verso), Subject: Sellem 1967, Titled on Verso, Medium: Oil on wood construction (III/x, with a numbered edition of 50), Size: 15" x 14.25" x 2", Frame: Plexiglass Box
- Numerous pieces, too many to list or show. Posters, pottery and more.
- Eames Herman Miller Bentwood & Leather Lounge Chair & Ottoman; (1 )
- Aeron Chair by Herman Miller; Black (1)
- Eames Molded Plywood Dining Chairs - Both Marked "Herman Miller", One is marked "8/27/98"; Black with Metal (2)
- Eames Herman Miller Upholstered DCM Chairs - some have wear and piping is coming off one of the chairs; Black with Black piping (8)
- Baker Desk Chairs; (2)
- Baker 3 Drawer Dresser; (1)
- Baker Buffet - Custom Ordered One of a Kind Original with Curved Front and Drawers
- Vintage Knoll by Robert Venturi Chair - Original Labels Intact, dated 7/24/90; (1)
- Vintage Knoll Saarinen Round Dining Table 42" OD.; White (1)
- Vintage Knoll Saarinen Pedestal Side Table 16" OD; White (1)
- Vintage Knoll Saarinen Stool; White with Orange Cushion 16" H, bottom of cushion has pulled away from the chair; (1)
- Wedgewood Majolica Green Cabbage Leaf 8" Figured Edge Antique 4KC Pottery (7AGG);
- Wedgewood of Etruria and Barlaston Pitcher; Green Grape
Jewelry & Bobbles:
- Antique Jade Earrings; Screw back
- Handmade Pillboxes
- Bakelite Belt Buckle w/Rhinestones
- Handmade Native American Earrings
- Bracelets; Bakelite, Wood, Mother of Pearl and Poly
- Vintage & Handmade Artistic Necklaces
- Antique Mother of Pearl Buttons; Rectangular and very delicate; Baby?
- New York City 14th St. Subway Vintage Enamel Street Sign
- Trinket boxes, antique and vintage, hand carved, inlaid and more; all shapes and sizes
- Baskets! Lovely, Big, Small, Beautiful Baskets!!! Lots of them!
Check back frequently as we add photos right up until the night before the sale.