Larry Rutigliano was born in Tampa in 1925. He studied with José de Creeft and Stuart Davis, and in New York City at the New School for Social Research with Mario Carreno and at the Traphagen School of Design. While in New York he studied department store display as well as painting and sculpture. He used an unusual combination of media, applying plaster to burlap, and painting and etching the surface, like an Italian fresco. Known in Tampa as a stage and lighting designer, he also worked as display director for a well-known Cuban department store called Fernandez and Garcia on 7th Ave in Ybor City. In 1955 Rutigliano was honored with inclusion in the Ringling Museum of Art exhibit Fifty Florida Painters.